10.23.2013

we both know our own limitations

we both know our own limitations

we both know our own limitations by ssaarah








I was pouting. And I really, really wanted to get wasted off my as.s and forget all about the fact that my best friend was gone, my boyfriend had dumped me without even really saying anything and I didn’t even have my cutie nephew to cheer me up. But I knew better. I was no longer that hot mess. I could deal with my own emotions. Or I could at least eat them away. Hence the bakery. I was sitting at the outdoor table with a flavored latte and chocolate croissant when I heard a voice.



“What did that croissant ever do to you?” I looked up into the handsome face of probably the only guy who didn’t like me.

“What?” Tristan motioned to my food.

‘You’re looking at it like you want to murder it.” He smirked and I felt myself smile. His grin really did have a shocking effect on women. Or maybe just me.

“I'm wallowing in self misery. You can join me you might enjoy it.” I gave him a weak smile and he sighed, taking the seat across from me.

“I don’t hate you Chloe.” He said, reading my thoughts.

“You just don’t like me. Or have any desire to.” I pointed out. He shrugged.

“It’s not personal....what are you wallowing about?” I licked my lips, thinking it was more than personal but keeping that to myself.

“Bad breakup, missing my friends, about to down my 3rd croissant in the last hour….normal stilly girl stuff.” I smirked.

"If that's normal? I'm thankful I'm not a girl," he replied a glimmer of a smile in those eyes as if he was trying to joke around with me. Cute.

"Yeah, you really dodged a bullet there," I winked and he shook his head as he chuckled.

"I'm sorry about that by the way." I lifted a brow and leaned into the table,

"About being a man? Or...?"

"For the bad breakup, missing your friends, and what did you say this was? Your fifth croissant?"

"Third actually..." I trailed off with a grin. "If two more croissants appear in front of me? Please intercept it from me. I'm going to need to hit the gym extra hard now because of these delicious little bastards." Tristan laughed harder and the sound warmed me all over. It was both comforting and annoying at the same time.

"Please. You could indulge every now and then... and there are much worse things to eat than a pastry."

"Oh? And what's your weakness Mr. Williams?"

"A hot fudge sundae, extra whipped cream with a cherry on top," he answered with a smile. I licked my lips slowly.

“That sounds really fucking good.” I admitted tilting my head to the side. “But oddly American.” I added. He laughed.

“Well maybe they get a few things right every now and then.” I smiled at the look on his face setting my elbows on the table and my head in my hands as I watched him. He really was unreasonably handsome. He would make good money as a model. “What?” he asked, raising a brow at me.

“What what?” I replied, mimicking his face.

“You’re giving me that look.”

“What look?!” I asked, not aware my face had changed at all. He narrowed his eyes on me and shook his head.

“Nevermind,” he replied but he was looking at me warily and I sat straight back on my chair.

“No what did you mean?!” he shrugged.

“You have this look in your eyes you get right before…..” he sighed. “….right before you try to hit on me or something.” I widened my eyes.

“Really? What does this look look like?” he shrugged. “No I should know this!” I added trying to keep a straight face. “If I'm unknowingly about to try and hit on men totally out of my league I should know before it happens. Can you hang around with me and give me a sign when the look comes up?”

“I didn’t mean that-“ he started, looking a little guilty when I started grinning at him. “You’re fu.cking with me.”

“No that was me “trying” to hit on you.” I grinned taking a sip of my coffee.

“There was a look though.” He grinned back shaking his head.

“I’ve already pulled out all my best moves with you Tristan, if those didn’t work? A look never would.” He smirked wider and parted his lips but before he could speak a small brunette appeared in front of us and smiled at him.

"Is there anything I could get you?" He looked back at me and I shook my head. "Another croissant and coffee. Black."

"Did you notice that look too? Or am I just the exception?"

"What look?" he grinned, probably glad we weren’t fighting. Or that I wasn’t trying to fuck him. I rolled my eyes at his fake innocence.

"The waitress was staring at you the entire time. I've been here for an hour and I haven't even had service like that."

"An hour? I hope I'm not keeping you."

"I have nowhere to be," And now I sounded real lame. I bit my lip as I leaned back into the table. "What about you Mr. Williams?"

"What about me?" he asked, surprisingly not looking at my face but at my food. Maybe he should have gotten something to eat.

"Why aren't you busy at work or with one of your three girlfriends?" I asked then blushed slightly, "Or are you down to two now because of me and my big mouth?" Not that that had been my fault. She’d started it.

"The whole thing with Brigitte wasn't your fault," he answered, reading my mind apparently without really answering the question.

"And...?" I trailed off slowly, waiting for him to stop deflecting.

"And I have the day off," he shrugged. I sighed and leaned back in my chair, making a point to roll my eyes again since I knew how much he loved that.

"I meant where are the other two?"

"One's probably busy with med school and the other is currently in London,".

“Ah” I nodded. “And of course your boyfriend is unavailable as well.” I grinned and Tristan gave me a smile.

“Exactly.” I laughed and sighed.

“Yeah I miss him too.” I admitted licking my lips.

“If only he was a woman maybe I could finally settle down.” I laughed again, finding it cute when guys made fun of themselves as I leaned in.

“You know I hear he has a hot sister.” I grinned wider and now it was Tristan’s turn to laugh.

“Hot? Maybe, but not really my type.” I made a point of sighing.

‘You had three different completely opposite women, how do you know you even have a type?”

“Your ex doesn’t look anything like me. I'm not your type.” He pointed out, really quite talented at avoiding and deflecting.

“Jackson wasn’t my type actually. You fit the bill pretty perfect. Tall dark and kind of an asshole.” I winked at him. “Hopeless though. Hopeless usually isn’t my type so you’ve got me there.”

“Hopeless?!” he grinned and I nodded.

“Yup.” I popped the p, taking a sip of my coffee and then licking my lips. “Have you ever had a girlfriend? Like a real one? Ever gotten your heart broken?”

“Those are two different questions Chloe.” I swallowed, trying not to be affected by the way he said my name but it was hard…his accent mixed with the deep timbre of his voice was fucking hot.

“Okay so answer them separately.” I grinned, biting down on my lip as I waited for a response.

"I've dated girls, yes," I sighed, he was really a master at avoidance.

“Very generic," I said after a moment and he laughed again.

"What?"

"Your answer!" I shook my head, "Of course you have dated girls. Who doesn't know that? You show up to events with a new girl on your arm."

"So you think I'm a manwhore," Kind of…but that was besides the point. Plus who was I to judge peoples sex lives?

"No, but I'm curious why you're the way you are." He looked interested and adjusted himself in his seat.

"How am I?"

"Frustrating," I said bluntly. "I'm not going to stop bugging you until you give me a real answer." He sighed and I realized I’d won at least this one.

"I've never had my heartbroken," he said finally. "Never let anyone get close enough to hurt me."

“Now that’s an answer.” I nodded, giving him a genuine smile before sipping the last of my latte.

“I tried.” He smirked and crossed his arms over his chest, making me take in how damn broad his shoulders were. He was really too good looking to be around for too long.

“So are you afraid of love or just find it beneath you?” I teased, leaning in and trying not to give him “the look” again.

“Beneath me?!” he laughed and shook his head. “I don’t have time for a girlfriend.” I rose a brow at him.

“Well that’s just bullshit.” I crossed my legs and pouted at my empty cup before looking back at him. “If you have time for dates and sex you have time for a girlfriend.”

“Most women are looking for a little more than that.” He pointed out, which was probably true, but what did I know about good relationships? Except for my parents and they pretty much spent every moment they could glued to each other, so he had a point.

“I’d say I'm just as busy as you and I still found time for a relationship.” I pointed out and he rose a brow at me slowly.

“And how did that turn out?” I sighed.

“Touche.” I nodded. “But that didn’t end because we didn’t spend enough time together.”

“Oh? So then why did it end?” I blinked at him, for someone who claimed to not like me he sure was spending a lot of time getting to know me. Maybe I was just pre-judging him….or maybe he was just really bored today.

“I was both terrified of losing him, and terrified of how strong his feelings were for me.” I said simply, telling the truth because why lie? It wasn’t like he was going to rush to a tabloid to tell them Chloe Lindsell was afraid of love. Not like that was breaking news anyways. He looked at me for a second before speaking.

"I don't understand..." he replied slowly and I blinked back at him. I thought that was pretty clear.

"Which part don't you understand?" I asked, tilting my head to the side.

"If you didn't feel the same way about him, then why would you want to string the poor guy around?" I felt shocked as I shook my head quickly.

"I wasn't stringing him around. That sounds terrible." Awful. I had cared about him, I had been faithful and I really tried!

"Did you ever love him?" he asked pointblank. I licked my lips and ran my hand through my hair. It was a question I’d asked myself too. Along with…did he love me. And if he did, why? And why did he leave?

“I have a very high standard for love.” I said finally. “I’ve seen what real true love looks like. Yes. I loved him.” I nodded. “But I wasn’t in love with him.”

“Sounds like you’re splitting hairs to me.” He shrugged.

“Says the man who doesn’t believe in love.” I teased back.

“Oh no I believe in it. I just think it fuc.ks with people too much to be worth it.” I laughed at his honestly and nodded slowly.

“Well seeing as how I don’t think I’ve ever truly had it? I can’t argue with you. Though Cami and Ben always seem to think it was worth it and look at all the shi.t they went through. Hell they’re still going through.”

“Well I guess there are exceptions to every rule.” He conceded.

“We’re just not one of them right?” I teased back, catching my tongue between my teeth. Tristan smirked and leaned forward.

“You just said we as if you and I were a couple. You do realize that.” He grinned wider and I shook my head.

“Don’t be ridiculous.” I shook my head but I was grinning back. “I’ve gotta get going.” I set some money on the table and picked up my bag, watching as Tristan stood up with me. “Thanks for the company.” He nodded.

“Thanks for the life lesson on love.” He was trying not to laugh and I rolled my eyes.

“Smartas.s” I grinned but then I looked back at him. Something came over me and before I knew it I was pulling on his shirt to move him closer and pressing my lips against his. I got nothing at first, which made sense I’d basically just came out of nowhere. God his lips were soft….the second I thought that I felt him relax, and maybe almost, slowly start kissing me back. So of course I pulled away.

“Chloe….” He blinked at me. My heart had started racing, my body was screaming to do it again but I forced a fake smile.

“Sorry.” I shook my head. “I haven’t been feeling like myself, I thought doing something kind of slu.tty might bring Chloe back.” I joked.


55 comments:

  1. [they're too much :3]

    are you feeling any better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. still upset over the breakup?

    ReplyDelete
  3. you seemed pretty down about it earlier...

    ReplyDelete
  4. it wasn't the only thing i was upset about, but i won't pretend like i'm totally over it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i was just asking. excuse me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i wasn't trying to snap at you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i just dont understand you

    ReplyDelete
  8. i feel like you have a great life but are constantly looking for the faults in it

    ReplyDelete
  9. ....compared to you who sees only sunshine and daisies?

    ReplyDelete
  10. i have no complaints. i have a great job and am alive.

    ReplyDelete
  11. and you see me being upset once and decide i'm a pessimist who doesn't appreciate what she has?

    ReplyDelete
  12. forget i said anything.

    ReplyDelete
  13. do you judge everyone like that or is it just me?

    ReplyDelete
  14. do you like arguing with everyone or is it just me?

    ReplyDelete
  15. if it helps i do like kissing you more.

    ReplyDelete
  16. just thinking usually when you like something, you keep doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. but not in this instance right?

    ReplyDelete
  18. do you want to kiss me again?

    ReplyDelete
  19. if it happens, then it happens

    ReplyDelete
  20. huh...not an answer but i'll take it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. *laughs* what did you want me to say?

    ReplyDelete
  22. i just expected you to tell me it was an accident and you're not actually attracted to me and stop trying to get into your extremely well tailored suits :3

    ReplyDelete
  23. *laughs* you like my suits?

    ReplyDelete
  24. you look just as good in jeans.

    ReplyDelete
  25. those were some fancy jeans you were wearing :3

    ReplyDelete
  26. were you looking at my legs? :3

    ReplyDelete
  27. kind of hard not to notice those ridiculous pants :3

    ReplyDelete
  28. ridiculous? you work in fashion and you think my jeans are silly? they're balmain

    ReplyDelete
  29. just because theyre designer doesn't mean theyre great

    ReplyDelete
  30. you never like what i wear anyways *shrugs*

    ReplyDelete
  31. What are you talking about?

    ReplyDelete
  32. when i dress up you think i look slutty when i dress down you think i look silly.

    ReplyDelete
  33. all i said was those pants were hideous

    ReplyDelete
  34. whats that look for? :3

    ReplyDelete